Licensure by Examination
Documentation Required for Testing Accommodations:
- Candidates should request testing accommodations at the time of application for licensure.
- The accommodation must be approved by NCBON before a candidate can schedule the NCLEX examination.
- Mental impairment includes any mental or psychological disorder, such as organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness and specific learning disabilities, which are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Please note test anxiety and English as a second language is not protected under the ADA.
Items required for an accommodation:
- Documentation from a qualified professional with expertise in the area of the diagnosed disability which must include:
Letter from candidate defining the disability and specific testing accommodations desiredLetter from Program Director defining what accommodations the candidate was given during the nursing education program
- Recognized diagnosis found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)
- Identification of the specific standardized and professionally recognized test/assessments given (e.g., Woodcock-Johnson, Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale)
- The scores resulting from testing interpretation of the scores and evaluations
- Recommendations for testing accommodations with a stated rationale as to why the requested accommodation is necessary and appropriate for the diagnosed disability